The next instalment of our ’10 questions with’ series gets to know one of our Senior Account Executive’s, Georgia Oliver. During this series we’re hoping we can give you a real insight into the people in our team, the type of personalities within the Digital Marketing & PR industry and what different roles involve.
1. What does ‘public relations’ mean to you?
It means so many things, but a big part of it is managing a brand’s reputation. It’s all about creating a buzz around a brand’s achievements, whether that’s through exciting activations and campaigns or through regular press office activities.
2. What do you love about PR? / What excites you the most about work?
Every day is so different. Working on clients in the lifestyle and interiors industry has given me so much experience. I particularly love seeing a campaign come together after months of planning as a team. Seeing the end result is truly rewarding.
3. How and why did you get into PR?
I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, but PR always intrigued me. I started my PR journey at a beauty agency and then worked at a lifestyle agency. I learnt a lot, although I really wanted to specialise in one sector and that was interiors.
PR has allowed me to be creative and work on various exciting activations.
4. Typically, what does your role at Houston involve? / What is your role, and can you give a brief run-down of what you do?
I’m part of the consumer team in Houston. My role involves the day-to-day support of the team, media relations and managing the press office. I assist the team with organising press events, brand photoshoots and influencer campaigns, which have become a huge part of my role.
5. If you weren’t doing PR what do you think you would be doing?
I’m a massive foodie and I have a big, sweet tooth so probably something food related!
6. What is a common misconception of working in PR?
The idea that working in PR is like being Samantha Jones in Sex and the City. The show makes PR look very glamorous. Sometimes it is, but there’s a lot of hard work as well!
7. What do you like about working at Houston?
It would have to be the culture for me. Everyone is so lovely and welcoming and I have made some friends for life.
I also love working at an agency that really invests in you and wants to see you succeed. That’s a huge part of why I joined Houston. You can grow very quickly here.
8. If you had any advice for someone starting out in PR, what would it be? / Do you have any career advice to give to someone interested in PR?
Consume the media in every way you can – use every source available whether that be social media, newspapers, TV, radio and wherever you can spot new developments. It’s so important to be aware of what is happening in the news and what’s trending.
9. What did you want to be when you were little/growing up?
I wanted to be a backup dancer when I was little, but I can’t even dance now!
10. If you could have a dinner party with any 5 people (dead or alive), who would they be and why?
Harry Styles – need I say more?
Andy Cohen – as a big ‘Real Housewives’ fan, I would love to hear the gossip and Andy’s real opinions!
George Clooney – one of my favourite actors
Steve Martin – he seems like a lovely person and he’s in so many of my favourite films
Anne Frank – I have always been really interested in her story
Keep an eye out for more ‘10 questions with’ blogs to come and learn about the different role levels we have here at Houston.
If you are interested in PR or joining our team, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org